Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Today was one of those days I will remember forever. Not because of any grand gestures, sparkly jewelry, lavish meals, or spa trips. I will remember today because of it's sheer and utter simplicity that is so......us.

I woke up, with the kids because like every other day (it seems!!) Mike is on nights. They slept in (which I swear was divine intervention from granny!!), and were remarkably well behaved (I am certain Mike had a pep-talk with Ben the night before). My lovely, but busy husband may have lacked the forsight to get me a gift, or a card, but stole Ben away with him this morning to the office, and came home with the most beautifully decorated card, in all four of the highlighter colors. It didn't matter, the message was the same whether they spent $3.75, or made it themseleves.. I am loved. We headed off to a Mother's Day brunch in the community, put on in part by the RCMP, and I left with a flower handed out by Lisa, and a few more that Ben had accidentally mangled while 'helping' Lisa.

I headed over for some much needed girl bonding/ sun worshipping with my girls.. I always marvel about how our discussions move from topics as light and fluffy as our mixed reactions to tanlines (ie. Cimarron likes them, Lisa and I despise them), to God; who he is, and what we thin the Bible says, to birth. Somehow, with Cimarron so near to becomming a mommy, we always end up back at birth. A sun-drenched walk, with the sun shimmering on the river, and the promise of leaves, glowing green on the trees, as a perfect back-drop for further debate on love, life, and what the best recipe for cake is!

I came home, puttered in the garden a little while Mike cooked supper, and we laughed, and gave Ben crap for bugging Belle, and in the back of my mind all I could think was.. you're going to miss this. Mostly because I know these days fly by before you have a chance to enjoy them, but also in part because the Trace Atkins song was on in the background! haha
You see, while I could have (and perhaps would have welcomed) a day where I was pampered, and spoiled, today was my average, normal everyday life... just celebrated. My favorite things were in abundance today- family, friends, and sunshine. I talked to my mom, Mike's mom, and my sister. I tilted my head skyward on my solitary walk home this afternoon, and let my Grandma know we're all ok, even if we are a little sad.

If you haven't noticed, I am a quote hoarder. I came across this one today and it seemed so perfect for the day I had:

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life." -Robert Louis Stevenson


Yes, the best things in life are nearest.. and right now it's Ben and Belle chasing eachother around the house giggling like crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment